Renaissance art’s worldly meaning is rebirth; this is also called the golden era of humanism. Renaissance was a breakthrough from conventional concepts and was a U-turn towards the Greek and Roman ideals.
Renaissance artists gave a boost to the literary period in every aspect of art and culture. Like music, painting, sculpture, and even architecture, and definitely didn’t skip literature.
The boom of art and culture which we know as Renaissance prevailed from late 14th to early 16th century. Europe was no doubt the main contributor. But certainly different powerful influencers from classical learning and individual perspective of humans also played vital roles.
Renaissance was a time when scholars and artists were no more believing in the abrupt and rigid values. But they were taking more interest in humanistic view point and nature study as per visual observation.
Italy was playing the most dominant character in promoting art and culture. The Renaissance movement was not an abrupt and sudden shift but it was a gradual one. That altered the abstract forms that prevailed in medieval time period to The humanistic and realistic representation of form in the 15th century.
Subject Matter Of Renaissance
The Renaissance period prevailed for more than 200 years from late 14th to early 16th century. we can’t simply elaborate its subject matter in a few words. As it had a huge variety to offer, like classical biblical religious topics, even personal portraits with backgrounds. Contemporary life was also being painted.
Renaissance Art Characteristics
- In 15 th CE Forms tends to be more representational ignoring the abstraction of medieval period
- Art was no more limited to Biblical illustrations but Individual portraits, depiction of Classical religion and scenes from contemporary life were also being painted.
- Life and realistic expressions were added in the paintings. Now beside God, humans were also posed and painted.
- Not only the figures were being painted more realistically but even the landscape behind them or in general had mass and volume.
- During Renaissance Art Figures were no more hung in unknown space; they existed in the natural world even in paintings
- Architects like Branansci introduced Perspective. And linear Perspective was being used by Artists like Raphael in his School Of Athens.
- Soft Light Along with the mesmerizing blend of bright colors were also being used by Artists like Titan in his Painting like Venus Of Urbino.
- Masters Like Jan Van Ick Painted daily life scenes.
- Northern European Renaissance Artists were giving utmost importance to detailing to get maximum realistic approach.
- What made Renaissance art famous was giving importance to individual humans. and that philosophy transformed the craftsman into social genius. Who can think and compose as per his observation.
- It doesn’t mean that in the renaissance period biblical content was not being painted. But the difference was its depiction was more solid and real. Figures Instead laying flat on gold backgrounds were now being painted within beautiful and realistic landscapes.
- So the Renaissance movement that emerged with the naturalism of the 13th century, turned towards complex Art in the 15th century. And by the 16th century it got replaced with mannerism. That was more bended towards realistic or dramatic Art.