For Marinating the Chicken:
- 1.5 pounds (about 700g) boneless chicken pieces, cut into cubes
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to your spice preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
For the Lasooni Murgh:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10-12 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Water, as needed
Marinating the Chicken:
- In a bowl, combine the yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt.
- Add the chicken pieces to the marinade, ensuring they are well coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Making Lasooni Murgh:
- In a large pan or skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and let them splutter for a few seconds.
- Add the finely chopped garlic and sauté until it becomes aromatic and just starts to turn golden.
- Add the finely chopped onions and cook until they become soft and translucent.
- Stir in the coriander powder, garam masala, ground black pepper, and salt. Cook for a couple of minutes until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they become soft and start to break down, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces to the pan and sear them for a few minutes until they turn white.
- Pour in a little water to create a thick gravy and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
- Cover the pan and let the chicken cook for about 15-20 minutes or until it is cooked through and tender. Add more water as needed to maintain the desired consistency.
- Stir in the fresh coriander and mint leaves just before turning off the heat.
Serve the Lasooni Murgh hot with steamed rice or naan bread. The rich garlic flavor combined with the aromatic spices makes this dish a true treat for your taste buds. Enjoy!