With all the buzz around the proof for the surgical strikes made by Indian armed forces, the army has finally given the green signal to the government to use the video footage of the surgical strikes against terror camps in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) in any manner it sees fit to make New Delhi’s case. However, the final decision on this rests with the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
Top army officers who were speaking off the record told media that the army is keen on India releasing the evidence that will answer those alleging that the strikes never happened. This recommendation was made in the context of Pakistan’s military establishment persistently claiming that the September 29 predawn strikes never happened.
“There is no doubt at all that the strikes inflicted heavy damage. Proof is available with the government that clearly shows our troops engaging the targets effectively,” a senior government official said. So far, the only public comment from the armed forces on the surgical strikes has been the September 29 statement from the Director-General of Military Operations, Lt Gen Ranbir Singh on 29th September. Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha , who is the chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee, said that comments are not being made as the situation is still “live”.
“I think I should not say anything because it is very sensitive and things are still live,” he said. Air Chief Marshal Raha also said the Indian Air Force holds the ‘power to punish’ but any decision on using IAF in an offensive role has to be taken by the government itself.