There have been a lot of Indians rejoicing to the news that India retaliated back by launching surgical strikes against the terrorists at LoC yesterday. Here is a look at what exactly happened at the border:
1. These surgical strikes were spread over a 250 km arc and the troops went 2 km deep into territory occupied by Pakistan, in a terrain that included hills, forests and mountains.
2. Seven terrorist launch pads were targeted and executed before the Indian troops returned around 4.30 am. Each terrorist launch pad had 30 to 40 terrorists and the army says there were massive casualties.
3. A combination of ground forces and helicopter-borne para-commandos were involved in what India called a preemptive strike.
4. The sources said that “Full surprise was achieved” while the troops started moving in the afternoon.
5. “Heavy firing in Kashmir’s Uri | The site of the terror attack in which 18 soldiers were killed earlier this month” was used as a distraction as soldiers were pushed into Pakistan Occupied Kashmir, sources say.
6. The soldiers had clear orders “not to leave bodies or buddies behind”.
7. “Our forces have gone deep in and came back before sunrise,” government sources said. Pakistan was caught off guard and opened fire this morning and India retaliated.
8. Sources say India also has video evidence of the strikes, including some obtained through drones, which will be released when the time is considered appropriate.
9. According to the army, the terrorists were planning attacks in Jammu and Kashmir and in metros. The launch pads had been under surveillance for about a week.
10. Sources say since the September 18 attack on an Uri army base by terrorists from Pakistan, the forces had been asked to be ready to take on terror launch pads.