The release of the much awaited iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus is finally here and here is an overview of the new models of the iPhone.
The company has revealed an upgraded iPhone, though similar to the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, has several big differences, including a pressure-sensitive home button, better camera, a faster processor and improved battery life, as well as having no headphone jack. It also comes in a new range of colours and a starting size of 32GB.
THE NEW FEATURES:
1. The most important changes on the new iPhone include an upgraded camera, a new home button and a removed 3.5mm headphone jack.
2. Instead of the traditional headphone connection, the box will now come with earphones that fit into the phone’s lightning port, currently used for charging and data transfer. iPhone has been hosting these lightning ports from the iPhone 5.
3. What turned out to be a controversial decision was to remove the headphone jack, instead Apple is going to ship the phone with a pair of Lightning EarPods that will connect through the charging port and wireless Apple AirPods, powered by a W1 chip.
4. Infra-red sensors will detect when each pod is in your ear and motion sensors will control the headphones to use Siri and detect your voice. These AirPods will provide five hours of listening which, with a compact charging case, delivers 24 hours of total battery life. Apple will also supply an adapter that shall enable traditional headphones to continue to plug into the iPhone, but however, it will not allow for charging at the same time. The AirPods can be connected to Apple watches, laptops and iPads. Beats have also released two versions of wireless headphones for the iPhone 7 models. The iPhone 7 will also come with stereo speakers for the first time, with speakers now placed at the top and bottom of the device.
5. The camera has been revamped to enhance low-light capabilities and take even sharper photos. The 4.7-inch device has a f/1.8 lens that lets 50 per cent more light onto the lens and a new 12MP sensor that’s 60 percent faster and 30 percent more energy efficient. A 5.5-inch version of this handset will have a dual-lens camera. This hosts a huge increase in quality when zooming in on a photo, a problem that has troubled Apple for years. The iPhone 7 Plus has two 12MP cameras, one of which is a wide angle lens and the other a telephoto lens that can zoom 2X in high quality without using any software. The telephoto lens means the camera can zoom to 10X with optical and soft zoom. Cameras on both models will also have 12 megapixel sensors as well as 4K video recording capability. It also enables live editing of video files and with wide colour capture. It also has image stabilization and a new camera flash to improve photos shot in low-light. Apple has also doubled the number of LEDs to four – two cool, two warm – in order to create a more effective flash. That gives 50 per cent more light. It also has a flicker sensor that makes the flash look like natural light. The front camera has also been upgraded to 7MP from 5MP for FaceTime and selfies.
6. Apple has introduced two new colors for the iPhone 7 to replace space grey. The new models are available in five different colors including two new shades of black. A matte black and a glossy black will join silver, gold and rose gold in the color options for the iPhone. The new shiny jet black finish will be offered exclusively on the 128GB and 256GB models.
7. The models will have the longest battery life ever in an iPhone. An iPhone 7 lasts, on average, two hours longer than an iPhone 6s and an hour longer than iPhone 6s Plus. The battery on the iPhone 7 lasts 14 hours when using WiFi and 12 on 4G. The iPhone 7 Plus meanwhile lasts 15 hours on WiFi and 15 on 4G.
8. The model will be powered by a new Apple A10 Fusion which has a 64-bit 4 core CPU. Forty percent faster than A9 of iPhone 6s and double the speed of the A8 processors. It also has a ramped up graphics performance which is also 40 percent more powerful than the A9.
9. The new iPhones are also water-resistant with an IPX67 rating which means the hardware can withstand immersion in up to 1 metre of water for 30 minutes.
10. The home button has been given a vibration-based taptic feedback system so it now vibrates when touched to give users feedback. The feature is already in use on the firm’s MacBook laptops.
For the last two years the cheapest model of the latest iPhone has cost £539 but the new iPhone 7 price will start at £599 for the 32GB model.
According to T3, the prices are as follows:
The iPhone 7:
Rs.45,000/- for 32GB
Rs.52,000/- for 128GB
Rs.60,000/- for 256GB
The iPhone 7 Plus:
Rs.54,000/- for 32GB
Rs.62,000/- for 128GB
Rs.69,000/- for 256GB