Airports Authority of India (AAI) officials visited Gannavaram Airport ,
Team consisting of Airport Authority of India chairman, Executive director(projects), Civil Aviation Secretary, member of planning inspected the airport and discussed the several development plans of airport such as expansion of runway, new terminal with aero bridges and land acquisition.
– The existing runway will be extended from 7,500 feet to 10,000 feet or 12,500 feet.
– The expansion will support landing of Boeing 777 which will allow to operate international carriers directly from vijayawada.
– The existing terminal capacity is only 150 passengers, as per initial proposal the expansion is for 800 passenger terminal but considering the future needs AAI officials are planning for a 2000 passenger capacity terminal.
– Second runway is not under consideration of AAI, when government proposed for second runway the AAI officials stating that many international airports in India are operating with single run way, if they consider the future traffic second runway plan will come into existence.
– New Green field airport plans are not under present consideration of AAI for vijayawada and are looking at upgrades to the Vijayawada, Tirupati and Vizag airports.
– The key problem faced by Vijayawada airport is land acquisition, from past 10 years vijayawada airport land acquisition was neglected, now the cost for land acquisition raised to 800 crores from 300 crores.
– Gannavaram airport is already equipped with Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast-ADS-B and Tower Automation (TA) system which will help the Air Traffic Controller (ATC) to track aircraft movement. Aircraft moments can be seen on ATC Screen upto 250 nautical mile radius with the details of origin of aircraft, height and speed etc and avert mid-air collision, avoids confusion between ATC & Pilots. It’s a first of its kind technology set up in airports of A.P.
– Vijayawada based Airlines LEPL Air Costa is planning to set up a Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul facility at Vijayawada Airport by 2015.
– Currently Air costa, Air India and Spice jet are offering 7 services to Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Madurai, New Delhi and Coimbatore with more than 80 % occupancy rate. More airlines and services are planning to head towards Vijayawada as it is expected to be announced as the Capital of Andhra Pradesh state.
– Vijayawada International Airport to divert a major share of traffic from Hyderabad and Chennai International airports from which the NRIs of the state are travelling. The existing high domestic traffic is making the International carriers to select Vijayawada for operations.
SEE ALSO: Vijayawada- The capital in making